Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Foyer Blazh


Greetings to you, my friends and Happy November!  Various projects are taking shape.  


I'll share with you the before's of a project that is beginning to take shape this week.  The homeowner tidied things up by tearing out gross carpet and laying hardwoods before we took this picture.  

It's a good start.  I chose the paint color, Rare Grey, for all of the interior walls from Benjamin Moore.  I love it and so does the homeowner.  

I really dislike small, skinny floorboard trim, but this homeowner's keeping it.  I feel like painting the skinny trim a glossy white would only be accentuating something that should not be accentuated.  So, the question is... How do you NOT accentuate it?  My solution is that you just paint it the same color as the walls.  The cheaper quality trim then disappears and blends in with the walls.  Suddenly the walls seem taller too!



The first thing you see when walking into this condo, is the ugly louvered laundry room door.  It adds a blank feeling to my life that makes me want to slam doors and shout at all the things I really don't care for, like flourescent lights, crooked lamp shades, and faux tuscan decor in the Ozarks. Well, I didn't even come close to yelling at the door.  I just said, "See ya door."  And, then said, HELLO to "fun" door from Lowes.  It's the second time I've used this door for a project.  I love it.  


So, what do you think?  Do you think the hallway needs a long console table for the right hand side?  I say, yes.  A long rug, and a few cool, trendy fabric-cubes tucked underneath. I hear the foyer needs to wet the appetit.  First impression is SO important. It needs to be major-statement-hor-dourves.  I think I learned that from Nate.  My main goal is to make this foyer go from blazh, to ding-ding-ding!   I'll know it when I see it, hopefully.  

Well, look what I found.  A funked-out, grooved-out table with pink/red granite.  It was a deal of the day.  Super cheap.  Like $55.50.  I told the dealer to keep the granite.  I shoulda sold it on ebay, but then again, some things aren't worth dealing with.  Then I had my carpenter take a look into what it would take to oxidize some mirrored panels to adhere on all sides underneath and atop.

         Someone actually built and welded this thing really, really well.  I love the knobby legs.  So different. Unexpected and beautiful.

My friend told me about this sunburst mirror.  It was huge.  Pretty cool.  Almost a tad bit, new-age, 80s-ish-icky gold.  Not something a little paint won't tone down. Just the thing to go in the entry way.  Hanging over the console table.

Well, that's it for this post.  Be sure to check back in to see more progress this week!  I have lots to share.  My interns will be posting about some upcoming events we're working on, but I ALWAYS like taking suggestions on what you'd like to hear, read, see, eat, etc...!  Please share.

xx
sharon  

No comments:

Post a Comment