Friday, October 12, 2012

Today is trash talk: "Our American Colonial House Progress"

House progress:  Here's a snapshot of one corner of the kitchen before we got possession.  I've contemplated sharing it with you because it's a grossly descriptive glimpse into some of the living conditions of the home.  I'm not here to make judgements about it or the homeowner, but really just showing you for the sake of letting you get a grasp for what Will and his friend Creighton have gone through to get the house to where it is today.  It's still a long way from being done.




Will brought this chandelier over from the kitchen at the old house.  Which reminds me, a lot of locals have been asking me where we are living right now and if we are selling our current house.  We are still living in the old house while  renovations are going on and haven't decided whether we want to let go of the old house yet.  Between two houses, a storefront, kids, and business as usual, COMMUNICATION about the house renovations{between Will and I} can be very challenging, let alone agreeing on design decisions and things.  We've agreed for the most part though.  I will say that balancing our normal life before this, was challenging enough, but this is a whole new world I had no idea about until now!  I am grateful that we are not living in the house thru the process.  I think that would be really difficult.  I DO so look forward to the day we can simplify our lives.

Will has been manning the renovations full time and wants my design input, but it's really hard for me to find the time to focus on it outside of work.  It's definitely in my head and all I want to do is dream up plans about it.  I just need to get it down on paper and, Oh, find the time to source materials!   I hope to go check out marble this weekend, and choose a picket for the front yard.  Of course, the picket I want is not milled anymore.


This week, we had the lower cabinets gutted.  I wanted to keep them, but they were just beyond trying to keep. They had been infested with mice for a long, long time.  So you can imagine the smell that would waft out of them, when you opened the doors.

A wonderful mudroom and pantry right off the kitchen.   I'm in love with this part of the house.  We will have a really nice kitchen for the first time in our lives.


Will and Creighton and his mom finished painting the house.  I think it turned out great.  For now, we've chosen to leave the shutters off. The spindly hedges are now gone and we want to add a picket fence around the perimeter of the house for safety and for added curb appeal.  My pinterest board titled 'Our American Colonial Home Inspirations' has been blowing up with ideas I love.  Also, watch for uploads on 'Our American Colonial House Progress' board as well.
Here's a direct link to that page...Sharon Taylor Designs.


This is a shot of the boys  {Creighton, Will and bubs-ers} on the cherry picker that we rented for 24 hours to get the paint on all the up-high spots.  They took advantage of every minute of daylight in those 24 hours.  {Obviously, the light is waning in the pic.}

Hope I haven't bored you here.  I've been trying to figure out what you'd like to see more of here on the blog.. If it's more house updates on the blog, please let me know.  As always, I LOVE hearing from you.

Happy Friday!

xx
sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment