Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Scarlett O'Hara of the Design World: Mary McDonald

Who is your favorite female designer?  I'd love to know!!!

I'd have to say my all time favorite is Mary McDonald.  To me, she is The Scarlet O'Hara of Design.  AND...She has finally published a book!!  Mary McDonald Interiors:  The Allure of Style.  I ordered my copy over the weekend and cannot wait for it to arrive.

The book is supposed to be filled with wonderful imagery of her Beverly Hills estate as well as many favorites we all know from Domino.

I'll never forget when I first saw her work in Domino about ten years ago. It was so refreshing then and still makes my heart skip a beat every time I open up those well-worn pages.  Not to mention every time I see her latest work introduced in the latest magazines.  In addition to doing interiors, she also throws some dynamite-ly designed soiree's too!  {My favorite Gala of her's was featured in Veranda '08...the green and white gala...does anyone remember that party or have those images???, let me know!} 

Mary is as beautiful as her own rooms as well.  She even resembles Vivian Leigh...If you haven't seen the latest Town & Country, you should see her beautiful feature there. She lets us in on her love affair with ball gowns {how glamorous is that?} and her latest addiction to grey flannel {a current day clothing trend, down to the shoes and all}.  I love how her fashion sense imitates her design aesthetic..."old world glamour" in a contemporary world.

She grew up in Brentwood, California and then attended Parsons School of Design.  After attending school there, she practiced as a milliner...{which, is a little known fun fact, huh?}.

Mary is here to stay...She's been solidly entrenched as one of the top 100 elite designers for a while now.  And, for that I'm grateful, aren't you?


Mary in her leopard print study



Mary McDonald Interiors: The Allure of Style by Rizzoli Publishing




Mary's New Dining Room Makeover:  Inspired by a Chocolate Shop in Paris



Mary's dressing room:  {Osborne & Little flame stitch wallpaper is one of her favorites}
 Happy Tuesday, and Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment