Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Frolicking Equestrian Fest

All images by Amy Pennington Photography
Back in January, 417 Magazine asked me to put together a birthday shoot showcasing unique party planning ideas. It was a crazy time as I was trying to get the store open, and I was also newly pregnant among other things going on, but I never turn down exposure and press...and, I/you could say that party design/planning is in my blood.  Looking back, I can't believe I pulled it off or that I even made it thru that crazy time.  {Second trimester is ten million times better!}

After weeks of giving the "unique party concept" some thought, and many hours spent with Kendra's husband on the invitation design, sourcing items, scouting shoot locations, negotiating with owners, sourcing costuming & props, pretzel & treat design, favor creations, and finally loading and unloading everything...it all came together, as it somehow always does. We have one big photograph feature in the magazine, and we think it represents uniqueness, adventure and simplicity. Hope you enjoy~

Need some design/party planning help?  You know what I'm gonna say??  Call today!

I was happy to see the work in the magazine, but would like to thank the following people and companies for donating time, and talent.

Justin Skinner {graphic design}, Kendra's {of Lonie Mae's blog} husband
ATC Theatrical {authentic costuming...vintage hats, ties, over-coats, suspenders}
Auntie Annes Pretzels:  Custom-made horseshoe pretzels
Eleanor's macaroons and cupcakes
Creative Direction: Kendra of Lonie Mae
Furniture Props and Favors:  Pickwick House {my store}
Brave Models: Sophie, Graham, Mabel, Ralph, Goldie, Albert, Harper, and Wilson

Shoot Day:

Of course, it was a freezing cold, grey, windy, sleeting day.  I wasn't prepared for the muddy, horse-manured ground either.  Before we placed the long harvest table for the backdrop, Kendra and I {bare handedly} grabbed handfuls of frozen hay clumps to spread on the nasty ground to prepare a set-up worthy of a shoot.  

The invites were made for "Sylvia Nell's third birthday party".  Sylvie actually ended up being sick the day of the her fake birthday shoot....which was a good thing, as I wouldn't have been able to keep a watchful eye on her while doing the set-up.  Will kept care of big girl and for consolation for big girl ...he's planning her real birthday party for next month...which I can't wait for you to see what he's been up to on that end!


Sylvia Nell's Third Birthday Party Invite

The backdrop was a quaint, chippy-white stable in the midst of a big corral of roaming horses at the equestrian center.  Not knowing anything at all about horses, I mistakingly set up all the cupcakes and candy on the table before everything else was unloaded.  So....while I continued going back and forth to unload the truck, I heard a loud glass-sounding breakage/crash.  When I heard it, all I could do was imagine the set-up of precious goods in total ruin.  Slight panic and deep-breathing, I rounded the corner to see that what had happened was that the horses must've instantly smelled the sugared orange slices and cupcakes and roamed directly to the set-up while I was out of sight.  Thankfully only a few vintage punch cups broke and a glass cylinder full of orange slices.  Running short on time, we barely pulled everything together before the photographer arrived.

The kids were great.  Shoot went fast, and we loaded everything back in a flurry as it began to snow.  I think I left everything in the truck and van for a solid week after that out of exhaustion.

Taylor-made pinata and hand-made equestrian ribbons

Horseshoe Shaped Pretzel, {Menu, and Placecard with Chevron Stripes}
Sweet-Cheeked Harper {our neighbor and grandson to owners of ATC Theatrical}
My neice Goldie 
My daughter's cupcakes {she bakes for Tea Bar and Bites}

Sophie and Goldie and the ring favor made with the logo of the invite {a horse}
Hungry Horse
Ring Favors w/horse logo
Ring Around The Rosies
Pin the Tail on the Pony 
Goldie's Place Card and Cupcake
Eleanor's beautiful Macaroons
More punch and Confections Alongside the Horses
Hope all is well with everyone!  Can't wait for spring and happy sunshine!!

xo
sharon

1 comment:

Jessi said...

such a lovely party!

Post a Comment